View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Patrick N.

Default Response

Thanks for your story Jason, it appears a few folks are firing "warning shots" in my direction that once the genie is out of the bottle it won't go back in. And to the other member, that's a real nice auto of him too, do you have a personal knowledge about this particular player?

I didn't put a whole lot of thought into this particular card. I've like this set because of the gold metallic borders and am not a big fan of T206s et al. as the white borders make the corners look grungy IMO. I remember seeing the famous Christy Mathewson card in a book and so that recollection also keyed this purchase to some extent. I grew up a PGH Pirates fan so there you go. I didn't want to pay more than $50 so any star card or one in EX or better was out of the budget. I like the idea of owning a card that was produced 100 years ago as well.

Anyway, I like the card, we'll see where it leads. I have caught myself on eBay the last couple days digging around a bit more for the pre-war cards. But until I learn more about the cards, I will not be going on a spending spree. I also don't really know what the market $ is for these cards and fear getting stuck with some reprints/counterfeits/doctored cards but I guess there are ways around that (buy graded, find a few rep. dealers, etc.)

Last edited by mintacular; 10-29-2009 at 01:17 PM.