View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 PM

Default My two cents.

Here is my two cents about uncataloqued cards especially unknown sets. It is best to at least get SOME information out into the public than keep quiet about them. My reasoning is this.

How many times, recently, have we heard about "finds" of Old Judge or T206 cards where an old person has died and a younger relative has found the cards? How many times did the younger person NOT know how valuable the cards were and either had to go to the internet and do research on them or, worse yet, sold them for little or nothing or threw them away (only to have somebody else hear about this and go searching through the garbage to find them again)?

Now imagine this happening with these 1921 Tip Top inserts.

With Old Judge and T206 cards, it is relatively easy to get onto the internet and do research about them. However, since the 1921 Tip Tops were only issued locally in Baltimore with bread, there weren't a lot made to begin with and probably very few remaining now. So, if an old person died and had some of these in a box in the attic or a scrapbook in the closet and a younger person found them and tried to do research on them, what would they find? Little to nothing.

What does that mean? It probably means the younger person thought they had no value and threw them out and NOBODY heard about this and went looking for them.

Now, if one or two of these cards had been talked about and listed in a price guide somewhere, like the Fans Cigarette cards, there would be at least SOME info out there which a person looking could find.

My guess is once these cards are auctioned off, somebody, somewhere will hear or read about it and bring THEIR cards out, like what happened with the Butter Cream Babe Ruth card that was auctioned off a few years ago. A guy read about the price the card sold for and realized he had one in a box at his parents house or something like that.

David

Last edited by ctownboy; 10-28-2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Edited to correct a spelling error, make a correction to a description and add my namee