View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Sandy Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Purely anecdotal: I've tried twice to do this with Hunt and each time was unsuccessful. The first time their agent on the phone failed to place my bid because he didn't realize the hammer was about to drop, and then it was too late.

The second time, after confirming the day of the auction that I was set up to receive a call, I never received a call (or an explanation).

I'm sure their system has worked just fine for many people, but after an 0-for-2 effort on their part, I vowed not to try a third time.
Rob, it just happened to me today. I placed online bids on 2 lots before today's live auction. I called them yesterday and they said they'd call me today to be involved when those lots went up to bid. Never received a call. Both lots were sold $100 above my online ceiling bids.

I was willing to go higher on both, although my original ceiling bids were fairly strong to begin with. Do the sellers of the cards realize that Hunt is leaving money on the table? This is not only disappointing, but for you lawyers out there, is there a legal angle to this that should be looked at?
Yes, they're missing out on their own higher commissions, but what about missed opportunity for higher consignor payments? Do I just look the other way and never bid in their auctions again?

And sadly enough, I actually won a third lot at my ceiling bid that I now have no desire to pay Hunt one penny for given their negligence on the other lots.