View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Frank Wakefield

It doesn't matter if it is 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 2 minutes or what... but the seller does need a RULE about it to avoid problems.

I agree with most of what's above.

Here, at this site, our time is incremented in minutes. Not minutes and seconds. So if there is a 5 minute rule, and the last bid was at 10:01, any bid that showed a 10:06 posting could be accepted, even if it was actually more than 300 seconds after the post. Precision at this site is by the minute, I think that's what a seller has to go by to minimize problems.

And posting a time zone is a must.

As for the demise of sniping with auctions here, I think that is a good thing for the seller. It's more like an auction. Think about a real estate auction. They start at a specified time. You have to figure that if they start at 10am there will be a few minutes of preliminaries, and eventually some bidding. The auction doesn't end until the going, going, sold. That's an auction. What eBay does is a hybrid auction, even though they want to call it an auction. An auction here with a 3 or 5 minute rule is much closer to a true auction.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 06-23-2009 at 08:46 PM.