View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Default OT - I need a few opinions from baseball fans

Posted By: David Smith

Mussina doesn't have a lot of Losses because he didn't HAVE to Pitch a lot of Innings.

Sure Tommy John and Bert Blyleven pitched in the era of the four man rotation, thus giving them more Games Started, more Innings Pitched and more chances to Win ball Games. However, they DIDN'T have as much reliance on Bull Pens back then as they do today and they didn't have Mariano Rivera to Close out their Games either.

Because of this, guys like John and Blyleven stayed in Games longer, got tired and were probably scored upon more than they would have been if they Pitched in the modern era. Also, with as many Complete Games as they Pitched, I imagine there were probably many Gmaes in which they started where they were tired and didn't have their great stuff.

So, if you think Mussina is a Hall of Famer, put him on the teams that John and Blyleven played for, let him be in a four man rotation, let him Pitch a lot of Complete Games and throw a lot of Innings and NOT have a Closer and let's see how he would do.

Or, put John and Blyleven on the modern day Yankees, give them the Offense Mussina had to support him and the Bull Pen he had to follow him and let's see what their records would be.

If Blyleven was good enough to have over 200 Complete Games, 60 Shut Outs, 4,000 Innings Pitched and 3700 Strike Outs, just think what he would have been like if he only had to Pitch six or seven Innings every five days?

In conclusion, I like Mussina and he put up some good numbers BUT playing for the Yankees and having the talent around him that he did, he SHOULD have had a better record.

David