View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Default Thoughts on card pricing.....

Posted By: JimCrandell

I see different segments of the market going in different directions.

1)There seems to be no let up in pricing for most psa 8 and better pre 1960
cards and no let up for most psa 9 pre 1968 cards.

2)Off condition cards--particularly psa 6 and less and ungraded cards seem to be coming down in price.

I'm not doing a Bruce here but a significant widening of two differentials is something I have been predicting and continue to think highly likely:

1)I think older true vintage cards will significantly outperform their newer counterparts--without getting too simplistic the older the better.
Old Judges will be a better investment than T205s which in turn will be a better investment than 1933 Goudey which will be better than 1954 Topps wich will be better than 1965 Topps and so on

2)High end PSA and SGC graded cards will be a better investment than lower graded and ungraded cards. Despite the economic conditions there are still a lot of people with a lot of money that want to buy baseball cards. Wealthy collectors generally want the best. An 8 is better than a 7 but a 9 is better than an 8 and a 10 is best of all. Money will come into the hobby and it will come primarily into high end cards. Unfortunately the people that are hurting the worset in this severe economic downturn are the guys who would buy mid-garde, low-grade or ungraded cards....and those prices will likely soften.

I still say collect what you like. I am just as excited to finish a 60s set in psa 8 or better as an older set(well almost) and am furiously upgrading some of my psa 8 sets to 9 because I identify with the players and love nice cards.