View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Default Talkin' BB with our heroes....tell us of your experiences ?

Posted By: Mark L

I think it was in 1969, when I was about nine, that I got to talk with my hero. I was ordering a hot dog at a concession stand at Forbes Field when I struck up a conversation with two very nice women who turned out to be Mrs. Manny Mota and Mrs. Roberto Clemente. We talked for a while, and I remember that they were smiling a lot and very gracious. After the game, when I was waiting for autographs by the clubhouse door, I spoke again to Mrs. Clemente. She very kindly offered me a chance to talk with my absolute hero of all time, the great Roberto. When he came out of the clubhouse, he was surrounded by fans. She said something to him, and he led me over to where his El Dorado was waiting, opened the door on the passenger rear side and told me to wait there. The driver, who I now figure was Phil Dorsey, gave me a menacing look but didnt say anything. Anyway, Roberto eventually came back and I got out, and we talked about baseball for some time but since my head was spinning I dont really remember for how long or exactly what he said. I remember him asking me about what position I played and me telling him. I remember asking him about the Pirates and about hitting and him telling me something about the importance the wrists. At one point, he said my English is not so good, but I thought he was eloquent. Thinking like a nine-year old, I asked him if he dreamed in Spanish, and after pausing for a few seconds he said that he did. He kept talking and gave me a very beautiful autograph. When it was over, my head was spinning. Having grown up a bit, I now appreciate his patience and generosity in taking time to talk with me while his beautiful wife and Cadillac sat there waiting to take him home at the end of a long night.