View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Default PHILLY SHOW this weekend....Mar 13-15th

Posted By: judson hamlin

I was at the show last night and I find myself agreeing with some of what Bruce said,, albeit from a different collecting perspective. The facility and location are, for starters, much nicer than Reading. And, it is always good to catch up with Ted Z, Kevin Savage, Mike Wheat, Bill Z and other good guy dealers. Legendary's stack o'Drums was amazing, as much for the T205s as the '06s
But...
As far as mid-grade and lower "collector" grade material, the prices were significantly higher than should be expected in this economy. I looked at one dealer's cards - he had a stack of raw T205s in, at best, GVG condtion. They were priced at 60-75 each. Now, even if there is room on that price, I can't imagine him coming down to the 20-25 that would have been more appropriate. I had a similar experience at other dealers' tables. Those cards will come back home with those dealers on Sunday and go to the next show, and the next, and the next.
The remainder of the vintage stock at the show was fairly ordinary in terms of selection and quality. I did pick up some E120's and '35 Goudeys.
I will say that collectors of 50's - 60's cards had better options for bargains than usual.
I'm sure September will find me there again, though.