View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Default Louis Sockalexis Memorabilia?

Posted By: Jamie

Thank you for the contibutions, Rhys and Paul, those are incredible! Especially the card. What a collectible!

Dan, I live in Newton, and I don't know of any real baseball sites, tbh. I only know of the Worcester stuff really since I researched at the Historical Museum there.

It's great to see that I'm not the only one with a longtime interest in "Sock". He was definitely a great player and an absolute legend. In 1998, I wrote a letter to each member of the HOF Veterans Committee, calling for his inclusion to the Hall. No response.

It's so tragic to hear that both Louis and Andrew struggled with disease, in spite of the tremendous courage the showed to bring their elite athleticism to "white" society. These types of stories are all too common in Native-American history.

For those who feel compelled to learn more about life on the res and Indian integration into modern times, I really enjoyed the fiction book "Winter in the Blood" by James Welch, and it is now a Penguin classic. It's very authentic and a quite engaging read - alternately sad and astounding - and very fulfilling in its depth.

Cheers,

Jamie