View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Default BIN- Buy It Now or Buy It Never?

Posted By: marshall barkman

I find that E-bay BIN's are like high end antique stores. The prices are outrageous and the dealer feels like it is less work to move a few items at a huge profit rather than many items at a small profit. I visit a antique store regulary in my area and i am shocked at what some folks will pay for things while i am standing there. To me there is no fun in BIN,reserves or schill bidding. Everyone knows the dealers that protect their items and it is easy to spot. I just auctioned off three American Beauties and had a thought at what the cards would bring, i never schill or protect anything because my theory is let the market decide the value, if a card sells cheap then their is a ended auction result that allows you to buy the same card cheaper. The Ankles Aweigh PSA 7 which is one of the top 5 cards of the set went far below the value but the No Stares PSA 8 went for 432.00 which i thought was fantastic. I put three more Beauties on E-bay and the Live Wire PSA 8 is sitting at 22.00 dollars right now, most dealers would already have schill bidded the card well over 100.00 to protect their investment and turned many buyers off. If people would just run true auctions on E-bay they may lose on some items but in the long run it evens out.

I also feel e-bay is the worst place to buy cards period. The cards are not fresh to the market and have been passed around from dealer to dealer. One of the best places to buy pre-war cards is the flea market where guys that clean out houses set up.