View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Book- Correct Ordering Address

Posted By: Joe_G.

I've been away for awhile but had to log-on after learning of the concern over Mr. Harwell's "Hall of Fame Announcer" title. For me, the highlight of working on the book wasn't the many great collections I was able to handle, study, and write about but instead sharing the book with the legendary Ernie Harwell. Beyond the many honors bestowed Ernie Harwell covered by Jay Miller, here are just a couple facts I'd like to share:

- Ernie Harwell began writing for "The Sporting News" in 1934! and has not stopped, still writing for the Detroit Free Press today. He has also authored several baseball books.
- Served 4 years in the Marines.
- Began broadcasting in 1948 logging a total of 55 years on radio and TV.
- The Brooklyn Dodgers traded their catcher Cliff Dapper for his services in 1948 (only announcer to be traded for a player). An interesting time (and team) in baseball history.
- Mr. Harwell would find himself with New York by 1961 and would call Bobby Thomson's "shot heard around the world" on NBC television.
- Ernie would broadcast for the Tigers in 1960 and log 42 years with them.

And a little more about his connection to the Old Judge set . . .

- Among the many famous personalities Ernie has interviewed, Connie Mack, while still managing the Athletics. Who else can claim they interviewed someone from the Old Judge set?
- Lastly, Ernie has an amazing baseball collection, largely donated to the Detroit Public Library including an interesting Old Judge collection containing a nice mix of cards including an extremely rare card of Flynn.

It was a great honor to have Ernie Harwell endorse our book with a fantastic Foreword.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski