View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Default Makes me want to go raw

Posted By: E, Daniel

If grading merely confirms or denies authenticity and presence or lack of alteration, tell me how it goes down on ebay.

*(complete guess) 10,000 plus people buying and selling cards on ebay, and people want to be able/feel required to supply a description over and above a highly detailed picture.
Cards won't change hands for money unless there is a percieved monetary value, and that value is partly rarity and historical/nostalgic enjoyment - and secondarily based on examples of the same card having better overall aesthetics than others. There's a pecking order so not every E90-1 Collins is worth $195 regardless of creases, corners, centering and edges. Some are clearly in better condition and there will be collectors who will pay a premium to own the example they enjoy more.

So, when you (any reading) describe a card as in very good condition with superior color and mostly square corners for a sale, and the buyer gets the card but feels the color only average and the corners no better than (pure guesstimate) 70 % square....what happens?
I've sold my share of cards, and I can reasonably guarantee that under such a scenario even with my very best description I would do no better than a 1 in 3 return ratio. I mean, people are an#l in this hobby, I know I am, and no way will someone happily shell out $100 plus if they can buy and return without any ramification until their craziness is placated. Until every word in every description has been parsed and proven true or untrue and a card perfectly matches the promises of the seller.

The idea is ridiculous, and in fact the main reason so many people can happily trade raw cards is that they align their 'grading' assessments largely with the standards now widely instituted and accepted from the big 3 grading companies.

I reckon the day such waffly card assessments based on subjective beauty become a large part of grading sports cards, 30% of the major sellers walk away from the game. There's no way its worth the hassle and cost to become a buyer's wet-nurse.
And very quickly, especially on lower priced cards, the infamous "no returns under any circumstances" would become the mantra.

Frankly, I'm amazed people see it differently.