View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Default Makes me want to go raw

Posted By: barrysloate

Another important point to make is that something has occurred with the business of grading that the grading services may not be giving much thought to, and that is the rash of resubmissions. And I'm not talking about the collector who may disagree with one of the grades he got; I'm talking about the cottage industry of dealers looking for undergraded cards, buying them up, and resubmitting them as many times as it takes to get a higher grade.

I really believe if the graders knew that a card they once gave a 4 to has subsequently been given a 5, they would realize something is wrong with the system. And there are plenty of cards that jump two grades or more, cards that were once deemed trimmed that later get a numerical grade, etc. No grading service would want to know that they've done this, because it would render the grades worthless.

But I know there are more than a few in this hobby who make a living solely on resubmitting borderline cards. That is perhaps the main reason why I think authenticity is the only thing we need from the graders. As far as numeric grades go, frankly, I don't think they are doing as well as they need to.