View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Default End of a Great Era....tell us of your PHILLY SHOW experiences ?

Posted By: Rich Klein

Teddy -- I always loved your trivia displays.

Doing the BHN tables for several years in the 1980's and having to have to explain to my Dad that his brand new Mini Van would not have a door for a while. (Not my fault; some girl driving her drunken boy friend home had never driven a stick before -- and that might have been been the last time too.)

Setting up with Mel Solomon and then going to what was then the largest bowling alley in the world -- in Willow Grove no less.

All the friends I met and kept in contact with there.

If I had to name everyone -- I'd run out of space:

But here are a few:

Ernie Montella, Jerry, Etta and Mike Hersh (sic); Bill Bossert; Walt C from Baseball Hobby News; Barry Etsell; Mike Gallela, etc. tons more (I'll add more names later)

Eating at various places in the area. One meal I think was with Frank Barning; the late Rich Hawksley and a few other hobby heavyweights. I, being a young upstart; had specific orders for a waitress at the diner we went to -- and then Hawksley made us all laugh -- when because he was so tired; he just said -- whatever he just ordered -- do the exact same for me.

The Boston Sea Party up the road from the old Willow Grove show. My lord, what a buffet. (if you think food is important to me, you are dead on)

And then I did not go to WG/FW for about 8 years -- I loved the 2nd location of the show for the amenities but the magic was never quite the same

More later

Regards
Rich