View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Default The Depression of 2008

Posted By: Fred C

Jim,

"Democracy only works with an informed populace that has the ability to think critically"

So, our problem is:

We are not an informed populace?
We don't have the ability to think, critically?

The answer to the first question has got to be that there's just entirely TOO MUCH INFORMATION to process. I couldn't imagine trying to read and understand all of the different issues that surround us. That's why we vote in politicians. They are supposed to take their constituency into account when they make their decisions? About the only constiuents they listen to are the ones that line their pockets. Ok, that was a bit ignorant and not totally true.

Second point - I think that a lot of it boils down to people not thinking, let alone think critically. Could you imagine having people in power that are objective when they make decisions? Wow, what a concept. Where would we be today if we had objective thinkers in power rather than...

I think we need to redefine the meaning of democracy. Maybe make it autonomous. Have it become artificially intelligent and have it objectively make our decisions for us. Sounds like a good book to write. Maybe I can see if George Aldous Bradbury exists and ask that person to write the book.. now, would that book be a comedy or a tragedy?