View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Default Unopened Piedmont pack guaranteed tobacco card enclosed

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Also, to add to Barry's post and Richard post above, I do agree that the grading of these packs is a huge problem but I can understand why Richard would want to protect his packs and thereby provide accurate information and sources to back up his info.

Regardless of who is grading these packs at GAI, they are clueless as to how to grade them and I would love to know what they use to date these packs. What source do they use to read tax stamps? Who do they consult when they date these packs? I know I've been asked numerous times by auction houses to look at cigarette packs or confirm something GAI did but who does GAI use?

Just on a funny side note, when I first obtained my American Beauty pack, it was (and is) pristine; one of my absolute favorite. While I have yet to find a 10-count slide and shell dating to 1909-11, this pack dates to 1907 and is the closest slide and shell to the T206 distribution. The tax stamp on my pack is a gorgeous 1903 series with a perfect, bold 1907 red overprint. So, off my pack went to GAI. 2 weeks later, I got back my 1909-1911 American Beauty graded pack. I just scratched my head in amusement as I cut open the brand new tomb and while GAI offered to re-slab the pack after I pointed out the mistake, it chose to let my AB pack reside in a 50-count plastic container like all my other packs, free from any GAI slabbing.

http://www.baseballandtobacco.com