View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Default Who Are The Hobby's Most Influential New Collectors

Posted By: JimB

I think this board has had a much greater influence on the hobby than any individual or handful of individuals. The explosive growth in caramels cards (just an example close to my heart) and other tougher issues has evolved through growing knowledge about these issues, the frequent posting of images, and enthusiastic discussions. Before the internet and discussion boards like this one, it was difficult to get reliable knowledge or much exposure to some of what were less mainstream issues. Now, it is all on the table and it peaks people's interests. I was recently looking through an old Mastro catalog from 2000 and checking out the prices realized. It was amazing how cheap, by today's standards, many of the rarities went for. Part may be simple inflation, but the extraordinary rate of growth is due to increased knowledge and exposure to a large extent, in my opinion. That comes from boards like this one. If there are three new super-wealthy collectors out there, I would guess they are probably influenced by resources like this one.
JimB