View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Default Thorpe - ebay auction- authentic?

Posted By: ali_lapoint

rhett take a second to do a quick google on babe didrickson. she wasnt viewed as a freak at all or looked down upon. she was beloved. didrickson was the first woman to ever compete in a PGA event and won her first 17 amature events, which is a record that still stands. not only that but she was a founding member of the LPGA and won an AAU basketball championship in addition to her olympic feats.

jim thorpe may be viewed as the best athlete of all time but really he only excelled at track. sure he was a great football player for his day but he never got the opportunity to play professionally and he was at best an average major leaguer and at worst a journeyman minor leaguer.

i wasn't saying didrickson's cards should be worth more i was just drawing a parallel between her and thorpe because it seems as though thorpe's cards are valued so highly because of his "best athlete ever" title. i just find it interesting such a mediocre baseball player would have such a huge premium placed on his cards because of his excellence in other sports. and the argument that women were looked down upon or marginalized in the past doesn't make much sense when we're talking about the value of cards today.