View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Default 1947 Tip Top Bread Set Scarcity?

Posted By: shane leonard

I have the only graded Tip Top bread set known to exist and have been trying to upgrade it for the past three years. These cards do not show up on Ebay or any of the auction houses. Those that do show up are either the reprints or are in horrible shape. I passed on a set back six years ago when I was offered the opportunity to buy any set(s) that I wanted from an old collector. He was getting out of the card market and basically had every set from 1930's to present. I purchased $50K from him and then he consigned the rest to Mastro and REA. My last choice was between Butter Cream, Batter ups and Tip Top. In the end, I had enough money to buy the Batter ups or the Butter Cream and the Tip Top. I picked the batter up, but really regretted not buying the other two. I bid the tip top bread set up to $8700 in the Mastro auction, but got cold feet because I did not know enough about it. After the auction, I spoke to my friend and he told me that the Tip Top set was one of the hardest sets to complete out of all of them. He told me that it took him 23 years to complete that one because of all the SP cards.
Mastro has auctioned off two complete sets over the past 7 years and I bought one of them. I bought two incomplete sets as well in hopes of making another. The SP cards are very difficult to find. I probably have 100 cards towards the second set and believe it or not I have most of the SPs from it. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at shaneleo@aol.com. I really like this set and think it is a sleeper.

Regards,
Shane