View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Default REA Lot 319 (Piedmont Cigarette Pack)

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Just an update: As promised, I spoke with Dave on Friday for quite some time - I believe we spent over an hour on the phone together talking about the pack and collecting in general. I can say, unequivocally, that Dave is a stand up guy and I have absolutely no doubt that his experience in opening the pack is anything but truthful. If one good thing came out of this debate, it’s that Dave and I got to speak and educate each other a little bit more. Granted, the world of cigarette packages is not for us all, and I wouldn’t even venture a guess as to how many on here have an interest in them. However, for those that do enjoy these packages, we all know what an incorrect science it is dating these. Even when all elements match (Factory, District, State, Configuration, Tax Stamp, Overprint, etc), we are still sometimes left with a question as to whether a card that may still lie inside would be sport or non-sport.

While there are still some unknowns associated with this pack; whether 12 pack configurations were distributed prior to 1917; whether the T-206 distribution went on after 1911; whether the pack was tampered with, etc – I believe Dave and I did agree on two simple things: #1) He opened this pack and found a card inside, and #2) available information does tell us that this pack originates from 1917 or beyond.

I’ve also been in frequent contact with Rob at REA and I again want to reiterate how much time and care Rob has taken in ensuring that every nuance of the auction is correct. That being said, I believe that Rob will be updating the description of the pack and at least present what information this board has discussed and brought to light.

In the end, I guess the same holds true for pre-war cigarette packs as it does for cards. . . don’t buy the slab, buy what’s inside.