View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default Headin' Home Ruth card

Posted By: leon

Hey Pete
Some of my favorite esoteric cards of the Babe.....There are many reprints out there so you do need to be careful. Obviously the best way to tell a fake is to look at the paper and hold it and feel of it (you can sneak a smell of it you want to also). I won't soon forget the idiot that was selling some reprints on ebay. I alerted the board then he came on here saying how we were all wrong and being rather snotty about it. Next time I saw them they were on the back cover of an American Memorabilia catalog and being auctioned off. I called Victor Moreno (owner of AM) and told him what was up. In the mean time the idiot came back on here spouting off how they were being sold by AM so HAD to be good and we could all take a hike. Victor and I spoke and come to find out he knows Dave Forman pretty well so I had him call Dave. He overnighted the cards to SGC and of course they were as fake as a 3 dollar bill. These particular ones had a blue tint to them and were obvious fakes. The idiot never showed back up on the board and the cards were pulled from the auction. I think $725 is about the going price for the ones that aren't the Tex Ricard types.....Those are about 3x-4x of that. I wouldn't worry too much about size as all of the small type ones I have seen have been mostly hand cut (if that is what type you saw). There are 3 types of them to the best of my knowlege.....Last I knew was that SGC wasn't comfortable grading them but I believe that since Derek is back, and they might have seen some more by now, they might grade them currently....Not sure about it though.....Hope this helps....