View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Default Thoughts about the hobby

Posted By: leon

I think this is a good topic. I have always said that I could give a rat's patoot about today's major leagues. I think they mostly are whiny overpaid babies. I rarely watch any major league games anymore. I am 46 and as a kid growing up in the late 60's and 70's I did like the game. I played about 365 days a year too. I loved/love to play ball. After that with the strikes and everything else I just got turned off never to go back. My family and I do go to some AA League games here in Frisco, TX and we love them. OK, all of that being said, I don't think it matters too terribly much what happens to major league baseball today with respect to our pre-war cards. Humans have some kind of hormone or something that makes us want to be collectors. It will continue. I still love reading about the old game and the way it used to be. Couple that with the little works of art our cards can be, the camaraderie associated with collecting, and the value aspect of them, and dare I say collecting for the forseeable future will be good.

As to Frank's points....I am a little more toned down and do think they can be a good investment as one part of a portfolio. As with any portfolio it should always be refined to balance resources and time lines with financial goals. My best "investments" have been because I am a collector first and foremost. I have bought cards I like and are scarce. That formula has worked well. I have only recently started buying to resell. Buying to resell (and make a profit) is not an easy proposition and I give kudos to anyone doing it....Good question and very on topic, imho.....warm regards