View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Default Gypsy Queen Script Card

Posted By: Jay

Bruce--You found what I asked for but I should have been a little more precise with my wording. As Joe mentioned, two of the first Old Judge issues were the script series and the short number series. The basic differences between the two are that script cards have the players name written in script in the photographic area of the card and these cards are unnumbered. The short number series may or may not have the players name in script(in the case of Jim McCormick it is typeset) and all cards have a non-zero number in the upper right corner of the card. The script series was made up of the spotted ties and cards of the players I mentioned before, namely Connor, Esterbrook, Gerhardt, Kelly, Lynch, Orr, Phenomenal Smith and Mickey Welch. Of the ten Kelly N172 poses, as Joe also mentioned, three were script cards. The short number series is made up of the Brown's Champs, the 7 other Kelly N172 poses, 10 poses of Jim McCormick, a card of Chicago mascot Willie Hahm, and a two player card featuring Ned Williamson and the aforementioned Willie Hahm.
Unfortunately, the Gypsy Queen banner at the top of a Gypsy Queen card obscures a number, if there was one. For that reason, for a Gypsy Queen script card to exist it would have to be from one of the poses in the Old Judge script series, ie one of the 3 Kelly script poses or poses of other script series players.
Lew's Enclclopedia mentioned the existence of a Connor script Gypsy Queen card. I was just trying to get an image of such a card(Lew does not have an image) or of a different script card to confirm the existence of this variety.