View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Default New Here, Quick Question...

Posted By: kirk

Hey all, I'm brand new here, and fairly new to collecting (in adulthood anyway). I started again this past spring when my 5 yr old son showed an interest & I busted out my old cards from childhood (I'm 36).

Anyway, nowadays grading is so prevelent and in my opinion neccesary with all I see about card doctors & counterfeits.... My question is, am I to believe that this card (http://www.network54.com/Index/86178) was graded by PSA as an original. If thats the case, I'm not sure if I trust ANYTHING from PSA. Ive been on the fence anyway since witnessing some inconsistencies with OC qualifiers, but I still thought in the back of my head, maybe I should join if only because they are considered industry standard... But SGC seems to have more stock with serious collectors from what I see in the "greade the graders" thread....

Also worth noting is that at this point, I've been collecting mostly 50s & 60s cards of yankees and key players like mays, aaron, etc... But I'm interested in dabbling into tobacco cards. There is something about them that feels historic. Like a real piece of American history. I don't even own one yet because I don't know whos who, there were no yankees back then (NY americans right?) and I certainly can't afford cards of the players I HAVE heard of like cy young, ty cobb, etc.... Also, UNgraded ones have very likely been doctored at one time or another over the past 100yrs.... Is that a correct statement, or an exaggeration

Anyway, I look fwd to coming here often if I haven't already been banned for long winded-ness. Great forum!

-Kirk