View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Default Baseball's Greatest

Posted By: Anonymous

not bad, but I do not agree with a few of your choices.Its always hard to choose all time because of position players and pitchers, but here I go.
#1 Babe Ruth (what he did with the bat is incredible, but to be a dominant if not THE dominant left hander of his time, is ridiculous
#2 Willie Mays (one of the first five tool players)
#3 Aaron (not only one of the best, but consistency as well)
#4 Walter Johnson (dominant pitcher and hit .235 for his career, not bad for a pitcher)
#5 Ty Cobb (mean old bastard, but an incredible talent) The Georgia Peach is maybe the best hitter of all time.
#6 Ted Williams, the only major leaguer to miss time because of WWII and the Korean conflict. The last .400 hitter and one of the only hitters that could challenge Cobb as best hitter of all time. He was surgical with his bat.
#7 Wagner was am incredible ballplayer and his card is the white rabbit of the hobby. But because of his card and being overshadowed by players and personalities such as Ruth and Cobb, his numbers are lost to the sands of time. Wagner batted .60 points higher than the league average throughout his career (this includes his last five years, where he was clearly over the hill). Slugging percentage was .115 points higher. Stole 722 bases and had an incredible glove
#8 Alex Rodriguez, to put numbers into perspective, his average is only .35 points higher than the league average. having accomplished so much at such a young age is incredible, without ballooning biceps and growing craniums. His combination of speed, power and overall hitting is incredible. I am sure people will argue, but he has an servicable glove and has switched postions, from SS to third base.
9. Lou Gherig (skill and class) imagine how we would talk about him if there was no Babe Ruth.
10. #7 (The Mick) speed, power, glove, broken body, switch hitter, hung over all the time and still number 10. imagine what he would have been had he taken care of himself and Joe D did not call him off a ball in the outfield.