View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Default The Golden Era For Collecting

Posted By: Mike

1959 to 1966. Sitting around in the grass with my friends trading cards. Every guy I knew in grade school collected cards. Forget E bay, forget the national, forget the 2 Billion dollar Wagner card. Forget the trimmed and flattened crap, what I wouldn't give to be able to go back for a couple weeks, and just screw around with my buddies. To open that pack and see mantles face, that was awesome.

Edited to add: Just walking to the dime store, or corner market to buy them was half the fun. Just messin' around on the way. Cutting through peoples yards, swiping an apple, or kickin a tin can. catching a glimps of the cute girl in the neighborhood, which was rare, as her family must have kept her caged in the summer, as I hardly ever got to see her. Seeing her in the yard, was a thousand times cooler than watching Bonds or A Rod. It was a rare and much wished upon event. Funny thing is I ended up dating her in High school for a while. She wanted marriage. I wouldn't be ready for that for about another 8 years. I was in heaven. But to get back on track, to be a kid again, but only for a couple weeks. To walk into the stadium, and see mantle, Maris, Tresh and Berra, in the Flesh, ahhh....that would be priceless. How much more Golden era can it get ? And just think....no mortgage payment due in 2 weeks....