View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default SCD - Prewar card freelancers

Posted By: Mike

I am not much of a card guy and a frequent contributor pointed me to this thread. I do enjoy the sports memorabilia tab and will find a nice home there.

I have always found something incorrect in the constant inventory of Coach's Corner and calling those who no longer read the publication because of something that bothers them like this, short-sighted, is in fact moronic. What if there was a company that continued on a monthly basis to produce cards you favor in immaculate condition, using slab companies that aren't respected and it was impossible to prove on way or another...you would be upset as well. Especially if had the "never before seen" T206 Red Hindu backed Connie Mack card and then one Uzit after another after another.

I have in the past e-mailed SCD about my concerns and they went unanswered. I had a nice long talk with the FBI which got me no where as they were wrapping up the second Operation. I then e-mailed Coach's Corner about how they can maintain such an inventory and allow items to sell so cheaply every month and while they sensed I was being sarcastic (they must get a lot of people like me...it was following a string of Mathewson signed items), they commented on April 26, 2006 with the following mature line:

mike, get a life. or maybe a girlfriend, but I am guessing a boyfriend. End of conversation.

I have e-mailed them once or twice since without a response and don't plan anytime soon to do so again. What's the point really.

A lot of good points were made here in this Forum thread but I have a question for Bob Lemke.

Bob, I believe you were publisher of SCD when Coach's made their debut. You must have had some knowledge of the business and did you ever ask yourself to how they were always able to get such amazing items and such little respect, price wise month after month?

If you do not want to share here, please e-mail me.

Their ads (or inventory) have not changed in fifteen+ years...only the authenticators.

Thank you for your time.

Michael