View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Default Pirate back Chinese card

Posted By: mr. moses

and before you LMK that it isn't real or period - I bought it as a novelty from someone that bought it as real. I am unsure (feel it probably ISN'T), never researched it, and never black lighted it or took it to a real clock guy. My questions about it's authenticity were evoked and precipitated by the 5-6-7 that showed up on eBay (too many - although there could be other reasons), the insert was different on most of the ones I saw, and the knowledge that many Pirate related things are and have been er ah "pirated".... Subsequently my friend forwarded an email from someone who said they were the head of XXX chapter of the clock dealers association; and that the clocks were modern creations. He also forwarded me an email from someone else (perhaps the seller"-)) who was sure they were a warehouse find. I bought it CHEAP - liked the graphics as it looks out from my shelf - and it went with my Pirate pack. I own three items I don't thing are what they are purported to be - Duke chair from major "tin" dealer that has a replaced pair of inserts - devil cigar holder that has Philips screws - and the clock. I hope the rest of what I own is real and trust that I have done the necessary homework to ascertain that it is. BUT...........

"It's hard to make things foolproof
as fools are so inventive".

Do you know anything different than my thoughts?