View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Default Ted Z - Chase, Matty, and Johnson were on the same printing sheet

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

JOE

Your scenario is interesting....however, I have to suggest that it was irrelevant to the printers what front/back
conbination was valid and which one was a N0-N0. And, if I understood your scenario correctly, this is what
you are suggesting.

Now Barry recalls, when we 1st met, I was doing research and writing articles (back in 1980-84) on how the
early Bowman cards were printed. It wasn't guess work on my part (as we are doing now), but talking with
former Bowman employees and having collected quite a few complete uncut sheets and many Bowman
printing errors.

So, although I defer to your expertise in your profession, I have to disagree with you.

Each T-brand press run was an individual production process. That is, they were not simultaneously
printing Piedmont's and Sweet Cap T206's. It was a sequential process, where they would first start with
the Piedmont brand and produce several press runs of just these cards.
Then, an order would arrive for another T-brand and they would crank up the presses again and start rolling
(with say the Sweet Cap's). With these two brands it is obvious that there were many press runs.

But, with American Beauty's, Broad Leaf's, Uzit's, etc. there could have been only one press run.

Finally, consider this, if this process were not sequential (as I am theorizing here), there would be
total confusion with the front/back combinations. And yet, as complicated as they are....they are well-defined
and we fully understand them.

TED Z