View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro Auction Descriptions

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

This is an excerpt from a prior post by Doug; I have cut and paste with no changes his full response to a question concerning "acceptable" practices. I don't know if this list is coextensive with the way Doug defines what are "alterations" and what are not for purposes of disclosure.

"3)What will Mastronet and its employees do (if anything) to improve the condition of cards that are consigned to it? Please adress the following

Let me first react to the general question. Mastro Auctions will take raw cards and prepare them to grade. In my mind what this includes are practices that are accepted by grading services suck as laying down corners that may have "flipped" during handling, removing wax residue from the surface of a card and pressing out a light wrinkle that does not break the surface of the card.

Here are my reactions to the following processes....

--cleaning card--such as taking glue off

I have no problem with removing paste that remains from album removal especialy vintage paste that rarely damages the surface of the card.

--taking out creases

I have no problem with taking out light creases or surface wrinkles that do not break the surface.

--erasing pencil marks

I have no problem erasing "light" pencil marks. I believe dark ones impact the surface of the cards and therefore are better off left alone.

--pressing cards

This needs to be defined. I have no problem laying down corners or "flips" caused by handling.

--trimming

I am totally against trimming cards

--bleachoing/recoloring

I am totally against bleaching/recoloring cards"