View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Default meet you fellow collectors

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Dave Hornish-45 years on Planet Earth. Long Island born and bred. Married with two kids, 13 (son) and 11 (daughter). I brought this up in a long lost thread but I work in NYC as an average (loss) adjuster and spend my work days dealing with damages to ocean going ships and some tugs and barges.

Re-entered the hobby in January 1981 thanks to the first issue of Baseball Cards Magazine. Started off with 81 Fleers, 51 Red Backs and 52 Topps Dodgers (Boys of Summer is possibly my favorite book of all time). For three years I did 95% of the research for Current Card Prices magazine. Bought a lot of contemporary Topps/Fleer/Donruss in the 80's (cornered the market on Wade Boggs rookies) and in 1989 I became a weekend warrior with a buddy of mine. Did that for three years and had some fun and made a few bucks. We split the inventory and that became the foundation of my 67-80 Topps sets. Finished those off and started on the Topps inserts and test issues. Joined OBC about 16 years ago in the middle of all this.

I've always been interested in researching the cards and sets and have some articles up on oldbaseball.com. I had a grand total of maybe 5 tobacco cards in my collection until recently but had been toying with going pre-war for a while an and am now collecting Brooklyn Superbas/Robins/Dodgers team sets in a bunch of issues. I might piece together a T card type run and possibly E type cards as well. Really enjoying this board. Other big obsession is music; punk, or otherwise but mostly what might be called "Americana" these days. Need to win Mega Millions to put a proper collection togetther........Big time Mets fan.

Dave