View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Default Of Demmitt and O'Hara....St Louis Variations.

Posted By: Scot Reader

My theory regarding Abstein and three other 350-only Pirates (Maddox, Miller, Phillippe, but excluding Wilson) is that they were double-printed or possibly 1.5X printed with the Piedmont 350 back due to the Bucs' victory in the 1909 WS. This is a case where the PSA population report tells a pretty good story. Maddox (171), Miller (167) and Phillippe (178) are the highest population commons in the report--with Abstein not too far behind at 149.

As far as 350-only artwork creation and launch, my view is Summer/Fall 1909 creation and Winter/Spring 1910 general release without Dahlen (Brooklyn), Elberfeld (Washington), Demmitt (St. Louis) and O'Hara (St. Louis). The artwork for those subjects was created later than Summer/Fall 1909 and probably released later than Winter/Spring 1910. Of course, "release" does not necessarily mean launch at the same time with all of the brands.

Edited to Add: Marc Bourgea, who no longer collects T206, conceived the theory about the 1909 Bucs. I just ran with it.