View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Default Role of a moderator and my legal responsibility

Posted By: leon

Since there seems to be quite a bit of "to do" lately, about what legal rights everyone has, and doesn't have, let me make a few things clear. First of all I am not a lawyer so take anything I say with that in mind. My role as a moderator, in my mind, is not to protect ANYONE or ANY company. I don't give a rat's ass if they are an advertiser, a friend, an enemy (I don't think I have too many but who knows?), or anyone else. I will not protect you. I WILL make it my responsibility to make known the names of folks, and contact info (at least an email address and name) of anyone claiming something about someone (or company, of course). I have consulted with numerous attorneys about this issue of liability with respect to myself and NET54. Federal law is very strong, I am told. For the record I am not liable for what others say. So if you say something on this board you CAN be held legally liable for it. I AM liable for what I say. I have been threatened with lawsuits many times, as recent as today, for what others say on the board. I have yet to see a lawsuit but, since I know my rights fairly well, am not too concerned. EVERYONE needs to be aware of the fact you can be held liable for what you say though. If you hurt someone's reputation or business you can be sued....and possibly lose. I have also been told, that as moderator, I shouldn't post. I disagree and was a member of the board for 5-6 yrs before taking it over and enjoy interacting with my fellow collectors. For the record if anyone wants to check the Federal statute you can click below.....it's fairly easy reading....as law goes....best regards

http://www.eff.org/bloggers/lg/faq-230.php