View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Default A Jeweler from Southern California?

Posted By: warshawlaw

In Brazil, the bureaucratic error led to the wrong man (Buttle) being imprisoned, tortured and executed. The protagonist, Sam Lowry, a low level civil servant, tries to correct the error and gets sucked into a coverup by a government torturer, and is ultimately branded a terrorist himself, imprisoned and tortured. Despite the gloomy story line, it is actually a really funny black comedy, albeit one that makes you very uncomfortable at times. Here are some great quotes from the movie:

Sam Lowry: I only know you got the wrong man.
Jack Lint: Information Transit got the wrong man. I got the right man. The wrong one was delivered to me as the right man, I accepted him on good faith as the right man. Was I wrong?

Guard: Don't fight it son. Confess quickly! If you hold out too long you could jeopardize your credit rating.

Sam Lowry: Excuse me, Dawson, can you put me through to Mr. Helpmann's office?
Dawson: I'm afraid I can't sir. You have to go through the proper channels.
Sam Lowry: And you can't tell me what the proper channels are, because that's classified information?
Dawson: I'm glad to see the Ministry's continuing its tradition of recruiting the brightest and best, sir.
Sam Lowry: Thank you, Dawson.

Arresting Officer: This is your receipt for your husband... and this is my receipt for your receipt.

Jack Lint: It's not my fault that Buttle's heart condition didn't appear on Tuttle's file!

T.V. Interviewer: How do you account for the fact that the bombing campaign has been going on for thirteen years?
Mr. Helpmann: Beginners' luck.