Thread: T206 Production
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Production

Posted By: David Hornish

All right-I figured this would get buried in the Plank thread.

I have long wondered how the T206 sheets were produced. Were the fronts and backs printed at a central location or were the fronts shipped blankbacked to each factory for printing of the reverse? I have not read too much about this aspect and most monographs/articles tend to gloss it over. I probably need to find a good source for how cigarette packaging was done a century ago but failing a trip to Duke University I figured I would ask here.

I have always assumed the backs were printed at the local factory on the basis they would also be printing the cigarette packs themselves locally but I have to confess I don't know how the packs were created. Then there is the problem of cutting and inserting the cards in the packs. Or do I have it worng. Is the factory on the reverse merely where the tobacco was cured and shredded? I assume the ATT facilities throughout the country were located on rail lines so trsnportation of either large quantities of tobacco or sheets of cards would not have been a problem.

The wonderful INSIDE T206 monograph indicates some cards have been seen with multiple printed backs, which lends credence (possibly) to the printing being done in once central location. Heitman's pamphlet is essentially silent and Lipset really doesn't address this either.

I'll tell you-figuring out this stuff is just as much fun as collecting the cards!

Dave