View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default "1913" Portland Beavers PCL postcard on ebay

Posted By: Brian C.

I didn't want this message buried in the existing thread on the topic, so I started this one so that all interested folks can see it.

A few weeks ago I bought a Portland Beavers PCL postcard with a 1913 image from the same seller offering this identical image (but in a little better condition) on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/REAL-PHOTO-Postcard-Portland-Oregon-Baseball-Team_W0QQitemZ200064748106QQihZ010QQcategoryZ29484 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200 064748106

After receiving the item and examining it, I came to believe that it was not made in 1913. I emailed the seller a few weeks later and asked for my money back. Here is his reply:

Brian,

Who ever claimed this was a 1913 original? These come from a very large collection of photographs from the Library of Congress collections that have been produced for many decades at considerable cost by a New Orleans photography company. We cannot know production dates nor do we speculate on these and give complete, accurate descriptions, larger-than-life scans and require a seven day return policy for good reason. Those who require unique and dated materials should always request this information during an auction, which is ebay policy. We would never speculate on production dates unless cards are postmarked.

As of this posting, he has not refunded my money.