View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Default Who do you think deserves to be in the HOF!!

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Dave,

The political correctness part of this has to do with the fact that it took so long for this to occur. Call it what you want, if you think I took the term out of context then that's your opinion. Call it a correction of an oversight but you have to admit that it sure took a long time for the correction to occur. Perhaps you should re-read my last post. In summary, generations of fans have probably made the same correlation between the BB HOF and MLB because a majority of the enshrinees were part of MLB. The recent mass induction of Negro Leaguers pretty much doubled the Negro League representation to the HOF. I hope nobody thinks that there are any racist connotations to my posts because if anybody feels that way then those people have misinterpreted what's been posted.

The HOF balloting and selection process leaves a lot to be desired. Look at who's in and who's not. The failure to select Buck O'Neil is horrible because he could have been one of the few Negro Leaguers that could have been alive when inducted. This is a shame. Perhaps this error will be corrected.

By the way, do you feel that Minnie Minoso's career was really so negatively impacted by the color barrier? He was younger than Jackie Robinson when he made his MLB debut. He made his MLB debut when he was 23 years old. Two years later he was a full time player and then reeled off almost a dozen years of full time play. He had a fruitful career but I don't think he was as negatively impacted by the color barrier as you believe. If you base his career on the current list of enshrinee accomplishments then he deserves consideration.