View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default Doug Allen Did the Right Thing

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Something I'd like to bring up is SGCs method of determining color was added to a card. The reason I bring this up is because I've had a couple of cards deemed "color added". I know for sure that none was added. One of the cards (T200) was pasted into a book and had been there until I removed it from it's resting place of over 90 years. I submitted the card to SGC and they rejected it for "added color". Bottom line is that SGC could have errored in their judgement. They aren't perfect but they are probably the more reliable alternative to all other graders.

I'm guessing that they have some way of inspecting cards that they use and if the SGC graders see a certain attribute they deem the card had color added. I can't fault them for this because that is their assessment and they probably catch more cards with color added than they make judgement errors.

It would be nice to know how SGC determines that there was color added. Again, I'm not faulting them, I'm only bringing up a point that SGC does error in judgement every once in a while. I suppose we should all be happy that they reject a card rather than let it pass through if they have any doubt.

As far as breaking the card out I wouldn't have done that for a cross over. We all know people that have sent in cards that have been rejected for trimming in the past. In many cases they get a numerical grade for the card and they then can make a killing on the card (if it's a desireable card). I'm not saying that's the case here but it has happened in the past. We all know that people break them cards out of cases and resubmit them for higher grades and receive them. Again, I'm not saying that's the case here but some people may suspect that. In my opinion any card that has had the "coupon" or what ever cut off deserves to be either marked as trimmed or AUTH (based on being altered). What about people that cut the Goodwin and Company ads off the bottom of OJs. Should those cards receive a numerical grade? I think not, they were altered.

If people have grievances regarding graded cards then they need to take up the fight/debate with the company that graded it. In this case, maybe PSA was right and SGC was in error. Maybe Mastro Auctions didn't catch the "color added" to the card because in their opinion (and believe me, I'd trust them more than some kid that has no clue what this stuff is) there was no color added or detected.

Sorry about the long winded post...