View Single Post
Old 10-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Default 50 yrs ago I played Hooky & saw a Perfect Game

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

David Rey and Members

With all due respect to your mathematical analysis, I do not believe there is any means
that anyone can use numbers out of BB encyclopedia and try to predict the probability
of a Perfect Game in a World Series....not even Einstein could, if he was still alive.

I was fortunate to watch this event as a kid; and, I have reinforced my memory of it by
watching a video tape of this game. A confluence of several factors that may have pos-
sibly set the stage for this perfect game are noted here......
The Dodgers won the first 2 games at Ebbetts Field. Sal Maglie easily won the 1st game
and the only threat by the Yankees were HR's by Martin and Mantle.

Don Larsen was blasted in the 2nd game after the Yankees gave him a 6-0 lead. Stengel
had gained confidence in Larsen, who pitched very strong in the September drive. And,
despite this bad showing, Stengel went with Larsen again in the 5th game which was at
the more spacious confines of Yankee Stadium.

Now, let's stop here to appreciate how tremendous a feat this was.....The prior Perfect
Game in the Majors was pitched in April 1922.....And, how formidable the Dodger lineup
was, as Roy Campanella was batting in the 8th spot. Indeed, 4 of the Dodgers in this
lineup are in the HOF and a 5th, Gil Hodges, should be.

Unlike the 2nd game, Larsen was being "paced" by Maglie, who was also pitching great.
By the 5th inning the score was just 1-0....again Mantle had hit a HR off Maglie.
The Dodger batters were not patient that day, as Reese was the only batter to wait out
the count to 3-1. It came down to 2 defensive plays that saved the No-Hitter for Larsen.
Jackie Robinson hit a ball that deflected off Andy Carey's shoe, and a "heads-up" play by
Gil McDougald (ss), who threw out Jackie by half a step at 1st base.

Late in the game, when the 64,000+ fans were getting excited, Gil Hodges connected with
a long 400+ ft. drive to Left Center field (Death Valley in Yankee Stadium). Mantle started
running from his spot in CF, and caught it in front of the HOF Monuments (440 ft deep).
Hodges' drive would have been a HR in any other ballpark in the Majors.

So there you have it....events leading up to....and events that stand out in this game, that
make for PERFECTION.

TED Z