View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Default Jeter and Today's baseball

Posted By: jay behrens

Jay, so youa re telling us that the the greatest defensive players at their position have no business being in the HOF and that the HOF is soley reserved for the greatest hitters and pitchers, regardless how much damage they do to their team defensively? If one dimesional players like Killebrew and Kiner can get into the HOF, then why can't defensive wizards like Ozzie, Maz and Brooks?

I thought the HOF was supposed to be for the greatest players, and to me, this means offense and defense.

FP is pretty meaningless as I pointed out in the HOF thread, but I'll do it again. Omar has a little over 13k fielding chances in 18 seasons. Ozzie had almost 15k chances in 19 years. Somehow, I don't think Omar is getting to 2k ball next season, thus proving that Ozzie had much better range. This means that Ozzie gets to more balls. Some of these balls he gets to, he gets errors for. These balls are base hits if Omar is playing SS. I'll take Ozzie knocking down a ball and getting an error over Omar not getting to it all and having base hit go through and runners advances a few bases.

Ryan, it had everthing to with Leon asking for no OT posts for awhile and this threat got started the next day. I know I start OT threads, but I also respect requests that Leon makes. I'm a supposed trouble maker, so if I can honor simple requests from Leon, I don't see why other supposed good citizens can't do likewise.

The number of rings does not make a player great. Or maybe Ernie Banks is just another bum. Winning rings takes a team. There is not a single player that can win a ring by himself, otherwise the Giants would have wona few titles when Bonds was posting monster numbers.

No one here is saying Jeter sucks. If they are, then I agree, they are idiots. The point is the he is vastly overrated and overhyped. Would I love to see him on the Twins? Sure, but he wouldn't be the second coming of whomever if he didn't play for the Yankees.

Gerard, passing whatever you are smoking.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.