View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Default So how is it done? --- UPDATED... Item Posted

Posted By: fkw

Experience will tell you roughly how rare it is, what it will and has sold for, and thus what its worth. I have been following this hobby for 27 years, and every year I learn a bit more. I know 10X more now than I did 10 years ago, and Im sure 10 years from now will be the same. In the past especially in the late 1980s I missed out on some big items because I just didnt know enough about it.

For example, If I run into a "type card" that Ive only seen 2-3 times in my life I can guarantee it is a very rare card, but someone who has been in vintage for 5 years wouldnt really know that for a fact, and would need to have read it, or have someone tell him its very rare.

*****With that said.

Now my questions since I am curious too.

Is it a baseball card?
Does it have advertizing on it?
Is there a player identified on it?
Is it smaller than a postcard, or larger?
Is it handcut?
Is it pre1900?

If it is not in the SCD, there is a slight chance it may not even be vintage. It may be a modern fantacy issue doctored to look old. Over the years Ive seen a few and been involved in a few "finds" that ended up not being what they seemed to be.

PS If its on eBay, there is a high chance that someone here has already seen it. Good luck. Post it if you do buy it.