View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Default An Analysis of the Yorktown Heights T 206 PSA 8 E-Bay Auction

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

My 2 cents worth:

*If I bought cards with consideration to risk-reward ratios I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Cards to me are a hobby and one of the purposes of a hobby is to divert our attention from what keeps us awake at night!

*It is ironic that the prices some graded cards bring have created an incentive to trim cards and hope that they grade high when one stated purpose of the grading services was to protect the buyer from trimmed cards.

*The average price Bruce cites, $5317, is eye-popping. If I were to spend that much on a single card it wouldn't be a T206 common. No offense to those who do. These T206s are very rare in PSA 8 condition, but the cards themselves, condition aside, are not particularly rare. To put such a premium on what amounts to sharp corners, for my budget, would mean that I would have a very small collection.

*I try to keep it simple. I buy cards that I like. I bought some cards at the National which I had never seen before and might never see again. Did I overpay? Probably. Did I have fun? Yes. Do I enjoy the cards? Yes. Can I sleep at night? Yes.