View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Default Interesting Story

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

YoMass is right... the players were ticked about getting cheated out of money by managment, the day before.

Read the Cobb semiautobiography, the part about the betting and fixing, read that part in Gay's book, keep in mind how Cobb and Speaker both were "traded" to the A's on the heels of the mess, then get Mr. Ritter's CD The Glory of Their Times, and listen to pitcher Wood side step, tip toe around, and then jump into the matter of betting on games. It is a beautiful dialog between the two.

Who was that player that was out west, Landis wanted him back in Chicago to meet in the Commissioner's Office, and he didn't want to come back... "People have been known to disappear in Chicago." Or words to that effect.

A group of friends I have will occassionally call "Bull****" when one of us gets to embelishing a tale too much. I'm going to have to call Bull**** on Barry's #714. I figure he was good for about 400 of the HRs, and steroids gets the rest. Maybe I'm hardhearted, maybe 500 / 213 is the correct ratio.

Frank.