View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Default Interesting Story

Posted By: Seth B.

Bonds has admitted in sworn testimony to unknowingly taking steroids, which he thought at the time was sunflower oil or something like that. Aaron was despised because of his color, Bonds is despised because we think he hasn't reached this point fairly. Frankly, I think Bonds is an incredible hitter regardless, and I don't want to open another 200+ thread arguing the same thing.
I will say that the ESPN article, though, is apples and oranges with the current Bonds furor. The result of the Sox cheating was a one-day extension to the world series. No one performed beyond their natural capacities--in fact, Smokey Joe was playing a whole lot worse than he could have, presumably. Bonds, if steroids helped him, if he has been steroiding his entire prime, is the exact opposite: he cheated to help himself surpass his innate ability, something very different than Tris Speaker suspiciously dropping a few fly balls. Hey, I'm not saying throwing a game is a good thing, but it's a whole lot different than doping to pass records.