View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default Storing Cards in Plastic Binder Sheets

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Storing Cards in Plastic Binder Sheets

I have a question about how you all display your collections. Recently I grew tired of having all my cards stacked in a shoebox in either their toploaders or slabs. I suppose that having a shoebox with cards in it is not an attractive way to display your collection. While I didn't want to take the graded cards out of their holders, I pulled some of my ungraded cards out of the shoebox and decided to find a better way to show them off. I decided upon a nice office 3-ring binder and some plastic card sheets. This presented a couple concerns right off:

1. The pages are, of course, flimsy and I was concerned that when you turn a page, you're sort of bending the card. I figured over time, this would cause some weakening possibly even wrinkling to the card

2. A hobby friend told me that the plastic pages themselves secreted some sort of an "oil" when also may affect the cards over the long-term.

To get around both of these issues, I cut up a whole bunch of those thin plastic/mylar topholders to fit the card sleeve and hold the cards. This keeps everything straight and prevents the cards from getting bent and also prevents the cards from coming into direct contact with the pages themselves so no oils or residue can build up. I was curious if there was a better solution than this for displaying cards in a binder or what you all have used for your own collection. Any comments or thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian