View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Default 1941 PlayBall: Players still living

Posted By: Chris Counts

Howard,

I agree with everything you say ... I've always been partial to Cecil because my uncle told me stories about playing on a team with him in Germany. Beyond that sentiment, he ranks just behind Minnie Minoso on my list of deserving Hall of Famers not inducted. It's a shame the folks that run Cooperstown aren't willing cut war heros any slack for the time they missed defending their country (he received the Bronze Star in Germany). And it's not like Cecil was a borderline case. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only find two HOFers (Honus Wagner and Arky Vaugan) with batting averages higher than his .314. Was he really any less a player than shortstops like Joe Tinker, Bobby Wallace, Rabbit Maranville, Dave Bancroft, Pee Wee Reese or Phil Rizzuto (you could say the same thing for Dick Groat and Maury Wills, by the way). That's out of 22 HOF shortstops! It's downright sad the folks at Cooperstown have an opportunity to enshrine him while he's still alive and continue to sit on their hands. But I should probably stop now because I can ramble on forever when it comes to who deserves to be in Cooperstown ...