Thread: Strip Cards
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Default Strip Cards

Posted By: identify7

I like the little crudely drawn, typically hand cut by kids, colored, quaint, w type cards. I particularly like including examples which the original owner did not like borders, or was careless about his cutting, as well as examples which would result in a higher grade. I find these cards to be a portion of our Americana which is portrayed in different methods throughout the range of cards available from the 1800s to the present.

I like the black and white cards which are similar to the e-120s and similar types because these strip cards are much cheaper than their candy counterparts. But this is not a preference in the card, it is solely an economical accomodation.

I like the exhibits (which are not hand cut) and their counterparts, the w-517s which are hand cut, and are available in a wide range of colors. The Exhibits are comparitively big cards (four to a binder page) and are available in some very striking colors. The w-517s are available in more subdued, somewhat earthy colors and are about 3x5", I think.

There are other strip cards which are less common, and there are things to like about all of them. But in general, I am an individual who prefers duotone cards - so this group is ideal for my tastes.

There are lots of printing and other errors, design changes and room for research here. And there is no doubt opportunity for those who do the research, to profit from their learning.