View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Default Who will be more popular 500 years from now: Babe Ruth or John Lennon?

Posted By: J Levine

As I first read this my first impulse was to say Lennon, which I did, because music is universal. The more I think about this question, the more I think it is a media question. Ruth lived a long time and there are many many images of him. In fact, Ruth was so huge that many sayings in English have come from him and are used by people who could not pick ruth out of a line-up (pun for fun). "Out in Left Field" is a popular phrase that means someone who is not really all that smart or who does something silly. This comes from people who bought tickets and sat in left field, away from Ruth. "Ruthian" is still used on occasion to describe hugeness. Ruth may still be hanging around 500 years from now.

Lennon lived later where media was a far greater influence. Television and movies will keep Lennon's memory alive far longer. As he lived longer than Ruth there is far more images, sound bites, and general stuff around for Lennon. His music was popular worldwide and translated into many languages. Ruth is a name that is not really recognizable outside the Americas. Lennon's art, poetry, and music will probably be more popular 500 years from now.

The other thing is that historically, music just lasts longer. Jim Thorpe was widely considered the best athlete in the world in the early part of last century. If you asked 100 people who Thorpe was and who Sousa, Berlin, or Rogers and Tchakosky (spelling sucks I know), more people would know the later.

It is a moot point as the politcal climate if it continues will remove both Ruth and Lennon from the cultural framework as being too "left-wing and subversive and a threat to the common good and happiness of the American people." (Future quote from Arnold Bush--great great great grandson of George W. Bush and Arnold the Govenator)

Keeping on topic for Leon: If the question was whose card would be more popular 500 years from now, I would venture Ruth.

Joshua (very bored at work today teaching the youth of America about neither Ruth nor Lennon)