View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Default Who will be more popular 500 years from now: Babe Ruth or John Lennon?

Posted By: David McDonald

"Who remembers this stuff?"
I remember this stuff. Ever heard of Gershwin? Wrote Someone to Watch Over Me, Rhapsody in Blue, An American in Paris etc etc etc. Had a better year in '27 than President Coolidge. How about Irving Berlin? Had a cup of coffee with the Highlanders back in ought-six before penning Blue Skies, God Bless America and other endurables. You could look it up. DeSylva, Brown & Henderson (Varsity Drag), Bix and Tram, Gertrude Lawrence. A veritable Murderers' Row of musicians. If there is an America in 500 years (and I'm betting there will be) let's hope they still have enough good taste to delight in the great music of our day, John Lennon included.

"... baseball will always be the same."
Huh? Will grant that three strikes and you're out ain't gonna change, AJ Pierzynski notwithstanding. Always will be ninety feet between the bases. Otherwise, the list of changes could fill a thread or six: Jackie Robinson, steroid longball, DH's, gazillion dollar salaries, you name it.

But even if baseball in 2505 has metamorphized into something that isn't baseball anymore (maybe they'll even bring back baggy flannels!) Babe Ruth will always be an icon of American history up there with Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln. The Beatles did great music but I don't think John Lennon occupies the same stature. Got to go with Ruth.