View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Default 1887 Syracuse Trade Card Help

Posted By: Rhys

I just recently picked up this 1887 Syracuse Stars Team Cabinet/Tradecard. It is interesting because it pictures one of professional baseball's first Black Stars named Robert Higgins. The question I have is that this says at the bottom that it is "Manufactured Expressely for GEO G. CAMPBELL, 78 E. Genesee St. Syracuse N.Y." I have been trying to do some research because if Campbell was just a photographer than this is just an 1887 Team Photo. If Campbell was a merchant of some kind and this was made for him to promote his business or sell, than it is a baseball card. If that was the case, this would be the first baseball card picturing a Black player. I have tried to do some searches of census reports and have not been able to find the information I have been looking for. Does anyone on this forum have access to the databases that could tell me who George G. Campbell of Syracuse New York was? Thanks in advance for anyone who can find this info and I will gladly compensate you for your time if needed, or if anyone can tell me how to find the info myself it would be appreciated.